Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Entice by Carrie Jones


Philophobia; fear of being in love

Zara White knows that she and her boyfriend, Nick, were destined to be together, unfortunately there are certain things that are keeping them apart.

Firstly, Nick is dead. As in killed. Any efforts to revive him were cut short when he was supposedly transported to a mythical place for Warriors known as Valhalla by a Valkyrie. In order to save him and return him rightfully to her side, she turned into the one thing she swore she would never be: a Pixie, or more importantly, a Pixie Queen.

The numbers of male teenagers that have been abducted by the rogue pixies are increasing and Zara begins to realise that the safety of the town is more important than finding and recovering Nick, but that doesn’t mean it’s getting any easier. Every minute that they are apart breaks her heart just that little bit more. The town, as blind to the paranormal events around them as ever, assume that there is a serial killer on the loose and as the number of killings increase so too does the rise in panic. Soon the town is flooded by news reporters, the residents begin to move out or leave for sudden vacations and even the FBI is involved.

Never the less, Zara can’t just leave and abandon Nick, and with the help of Astley, the Pixie king who turned her, leads on how to get to Valhalla begin to emerge, unfortunately it’s not that simple, there’s a traitor in their midst. Betrayed by his own people Astley doesn’t know who to trust especially when even his own mother is a suspect.

Assuming that they can even find a way to Valhalla, and that Nick actually wants to return to her, Zara knows it’s not going to be easy especially when Nick despises Pixies and does all that he can to ensure their annihilation.

There’s also that small matter of her growing attraction to Astley... One thing is for certain though, there will be people that won’t make it out alive... there will be death.

The third instalment to the Need series, Entice is as enticing as ever! It continues from exactly where Captivate left off: Saving Nick. It is unbelievably easy to read and though it may not necessarily be one of the more serious doom and gloom books, it still has potential. I mean seriously... Evil pixies attacking people! My life is finally fulfilled. :P

This book focuses more on Zara and Astley. There are some memorable comments within this book, some even causing me to laugh out loud! I’ve always been a fan of strong, kick-ass, sarcastic and totally awesome heroines and I’ll admit that Zara does fall into some of these categories but I can’t help but feel that she’s dwelling on the Nick issue far too much. It’s completely understandable that she’s devastated over Nick’s death but she could at least try to move on. One thing’s for certain in this book though, she’s become a lot stronger, both mentally and physically. The events that have occurred have helped her grow and gain experience. It’s shown her that life is not always what it seems: pixies are not the little glittery things that float around showering people in happiness and sunshine.

Astley, I’m beginning to really warm to him, within this book you see a completely different view of him, you find out more of his life. His absolute confidence in Zara and his willingness to determination in finding a way to help Zara get Nick back is truly admirable. Plus, he's totally adorable! :) The fact that he’s helping Zara get back the one thing that’s keeping her from him is also unbelievable! One of the cutest quotes from him would probably be:

"I want you to want me because you want me, not because of grief, not because he is not here. I want you to love me for me. I want you to kiss me first and not because you need me to help you, but because you need to kiss me."

Isn’t it adorable?

But of course the book is just not the same without Nick; I completely and utterly miss his sarcastic comments, his arrogance and total bad boy-like ways. **sigh**... Honestly I don’t know how Zara’s going to choose when it comes down to Nick or Astley...

I can’t wait that long for the next book.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggghhhh!!!

1 comment:

  1. If I've got the chance then i'll try read this novel...
    Really, i loves reading books. But due to my accounting jobs effected on my reading. I've huge collection of books like..computer & software,magazine, Language learning, novels, short stories, essay, Biography and of course travels.

    If you interested send me post on my wordpress book : www.mohdalam2025.wordpress.com
    www.facebook.com/mohammedshabbirulalam
    thanks,

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :) they make me happy. Comment away!
Any spam comments will be deleted though.